Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The $1.33 Dollar

It's been worse in previous years but then we had quite a few years when our Canadian dollar was close to par with the U.S. dollar.  Today we have to pay $1.33 Canadian for $1.00 U.S. and that made me change my travel plans to New Brunswick at the end of the month.  I'd planned to cross over at Cornwall and drive through the States to New Brunswick but now I see no real advantage to doing that.

Kim figured we lose only an hour driving up through northern Quebec and then down to St. Stephen, N.B. so that's what we're going to do.  It saves paying tolls and buying U.S. funds.  I wonder how many Canadians will decide against vacationing in the States now that our dollar is so bad?

I've had a little worry in my mind about what my Florida lot rent is going to cost me and when the price becomes too high to be worthwhile.  It may be my last winter in Florida.  Poor Florida is going to be hit hard if too many Canadians decide to stay home or winter in Mexico or some other warm place.  I'm too old to begin anew somewhere besides my little trailer park in Florida but it's still only for a few more years at best.

There comes a time in everyone's life when we have to make drastic changes.  Sometimes we get to make those changes when we choose and sometimes circumstances choose for us.

No comments: