Monday, January 30, 2017

Kids Rule

Kim kept Nolan overnight last weekend and Nash this past weekend.  The boys asked for a "kids rule" time and Kim, who adores her grandchildren and spoils them lavishly, agreed.  She did say that a "kids rule" stay would be no different from any other stay because she always does everything they want anyway.

Every moment those little boys spend with a loving extended family will work wonders in making them grow up to be happy, stable men.  I don't know if it's the extra love they receive or if it's just spending time in another environment occasionally that does the job but I know for certain that this is best for the children...and it does the Gramma a lot of good, too.

Grandchildren make you laugh and sigh at the same time.  They're messy because they're active without grace but I can still remember Nolan as a toddler walking over his toys, tripping and falling down, looking confused, but then getting up and walking over them again and again.  I laughed, felt momentary concern he was hurt, but laughed again when I saw that he wasn't.  There is always a lot of laughter around children.

Our Nolan and Nash are very lucky little boys.  They have good family values on both sides of their family and much love from all sides.  I'm ever so thankful that their mother allows Nick as much time with his boys as he can manage because that means our family gets lots of time with them, too.  It's so good for those kids!

I quit my part-time job at Sears when my grandchildren came along and chose to do more babysitting.  I've always felt that it was one of the best choices I ever made in my life.  Those children have enriched my life amazingly and I can only hope that my presence in their lives was a positive thing for them, too.

I know of some grandparents who were never part of their grandchildren's lives and that was by choice.  I feel very sorry for them because they lost their chance of a happier, more fulfilled life.  Was it because they felt being a grandparent aged them?  Or was it just that they were foolishly selfish individuals?  Whichever, what a loss!  

No comments: