Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Garden Start


Other than a small pot of mixed color dahlias, this is the start to my 2017 balcony garden.  I very foolishly bought the Reiger begonias at the end of April but they survived and flourished.  I bought the mixed plant next to the begonias today and absolutely love it.  I had the same flowering plant last year (can't remember the name) and it grew like a weed so it must like the environment out there.

The bottom photo is of a mystery planter I bought yesterday because it was on half price and covered with buds.  There was a tiny bit of frost damage on the outer edges but I cut those out and the rest of the plants in it look beautiful.  I just don't know what they are except for the purple allysum.

I love flowers more than I can say and get tremendous pleasure out of seeing them every day.  Caring for balcony plants is so much easier than caring for plantings at house gardens so that's a bonus.

It's difficult for me to go to a nursery because I love every plant I see and have to steel myself from buying them all.  I have one more large planter to buy once the mixed planters with sweet potato vine come out possibly on the weekend.  I also will plant a few mixed portulaca in the other pots I have and I'll be done.

I'm not sure if I'll leave the dahlias where they are or plant them in a bigger pot.  All in all, the work is minimal and the joy is major!

No comments: