Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Islam in Schools

It is my firm belief that classes on religion in schools should be few and far between but, when taught as a history lesson, all major religions should be discussed equally...and don't forget to teach the bad side of each religion.

There is a bad side to every religion.  I found out recently that followers of Jehova's Witnesses must only date or rewed with members of the church.  My friend who is in his late 70's was told he had to be chaperoned on a date, too.  Most free thinking, non-religious people would think this ridiculous.

The big worry these days is having our children taught about Islam in the schools.  I wouldn't worry about this if it was part of a world religion class but I'll bet the kids won't be taught about burkas, laws allowing husbands to discipline their wives (even physically), forced marriages, or any of the other nasty side.  It is the same with teaching any religion...they don't teach about the cruelty.

It's pretty obvious that religion, whether we are religious or not, rules our world.  Atheists and agnostics abound now but we are still hindered and influenced by the church's demands.  Schools run by a distinct religion are funded by all of us which is completely unfair but we have no choice because our government made the choice for us.

If public schools begin flooding the curriculum with classes on religion, we've been boonswoggled once again by the religious community.  A class on world religions once in a while is all that is needed and should not be treated to the same amount of teaching time as math, science, language, etc.  But I'd also hope that class wouldn't gloss over the depravity in each religion.  Tell it like it really is or don't teach it at all!

With Islam, explain the burkas and the clitoral removal.  With Catholicism, explain the sex only to produce children and the priest pedophiles.  With Protecism (apparently this is a made up word), explain the hatred for Catholics and the residential schools.  With Judaism, explain the murder of Jesus.  With all of them, explain why their followers are almost forced to marry within their church.

I think I have a healthy skepticism about religion.  How did believers ever become convinced they can only correspond with their god by going through a mediary (priest, minister, rabbi) and that mediary be raised up to a position of power?  Why does an all-knowing and powerful god allow children to be abused and innocent people slaughtered?  Why have so many wars been fought in the name of religion?  Why doesn't the church pay taxes on their properties like the rest of us?

I'm full of questions but I'm also aware of the comfort parishioners receive from their faith.  By being a faithful servant of their church, they believe their pathway to heaven is secure.  Some even believe that non-religious people will all burn in hell.  Hmmm!  So much for being taught to love their fellow man!

I don't think we need religion at all.  I think we need good leaders who only teach ethics and love for all mankind.  I think the only rules we should live by are those that promote peace and good will.  And when a leader turns out to be a monster, they should never be allowed to teach again.

What I think or believe matters to very few people but that doesn't stop me preaching about them on the blog.  I try not to do it in public.  Being an agnostic means I have an open mind but a lot of questions and I think that's a healthy attitude in this crazy world.    


No comments: