Thursday, August 17, 2017

Joyce

When I first met my husband and began dating him, he introduced me to his huge family and to his sister, Joyce.  I remember thinking how beautiful she was (and still is) and I loved her maritime accent.  She had moved to Ontario much later than her brothers and sister so she still had that lovely soft accent, similar to the southern but much softer.

For whatever reason, Joyce took me under her wing (she's 8 years older than me) and was the prime person to pull me into her wonderful family.  I have always adored Joyce and think of her as my sister.

Faye, Cindy, Linda, and I are heading up to stay with Joyce and Larry tomorrow and I am filled with worry that my dear Joyce might not know who I am.  She's in the early stages of Alzheimers, doing fairly well with the help of her wonderful husband, Larry, but has had a few health issues that sort of intensified her Alzheimers.  I know my heart will be broken when the day comes that Joyce doesn't recognize me and I'm so worried it might happen tomorrow.  I can't seem to shake that fear and I'm also afraid of what my reaction will be if and when it happens.

Our whole family is worrying about being forgotten and I can only think that it will be Larry who hurts the most when the time comes.  I've been practicing in my mind what to say or do and I think the best thing is to just go along with her and continue loving her.

I'll do my crying in private.




No comments: