Monday, May 28, 2018

Old Friends

I'm the worst person in the world when it comes to telephoning people.  I'd rather e-mail or message on Facebook and it all stems from many years ago when I worked for Sears taking phone orders.  I sat at a cubicle and had headphones attached to the plug-in.  I always felt a little trapped and it was about that time that I developed my aversion to the phone.  I don't at all mind receiving calls but I'm not fond of doing the calling myself.

Anyway, yesterday I received a call from an old friend (Peggy P) who I haven't seen in years.  She was a good friend at 3W around the time we first bought our trailer there but her husband had health issues and they had to sell and go back home.  I've seen Peggy off and on over the years, usually at 3W reunions but neither of us have been to one in a while.  She and Roy live in Ontario but quite a ways from where I live.

It was lovely catching up and talking about the changes in our lives...Roy is still alive and kicking and about to celebrate his 80th birthday!  

Then, today, an old friend from 3W called me, too...Barb M.  She and her husband moved out of the park to live full time in another park not long after Dennis passed away.  My fondest memory of Barb was the time I'd just gotten down to the park and discovered the people who cleaned my trailer for me hadn't bothered to clean the inside of the kitchen cupboards.  This is a must because roaches can find their way inside those tin cans during the summer and I sure didn't want any trace of them in my cupboards.

I was outside talking to Barb and whining about how I now had to hurry up and wash the cupboards out before dark so I could put groceries in them.  Barb went home and I went inside to start cleaning.  As I was standing up on a chair cleaning the upper cupboards, I spotted Barb heading back to my trailer with a bucket in hand.  She came in and worked right along with me to clean those darned cupboards and I never forgot her kindness.  This is why I loved my park so much...the people were the best to be found anywhere and everyone looked out for everyone else.  It's much the same now but so many of my old friends aren't there any more and I miss that a lot.

Barb even invited me to come and stay with her if I was ever stuck for a winter rental.  How generous!  I plan on selling my trailer this winter because I only want to be in Florida for 3 months and it's ridiculous for Shelley and John to be paying lot rent for 12 months.  Life changes and I will, too.

I met some of the nicest people at 3W over the years and will always feel blessed that we came into each other's lives.  Dennis and I bought our trailer in 2000 and it's brought 18 years of good times...only 5 years for Dennis but he loved the place!

Thank heavens there are people out there who still enjoy keeping in contact with old friends by giving them a call.  I'm not one of them but I do love receiving their calls! 

No comments: