Sunday, August 11, 2019

10 Days In Paradise







Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of photos to show because my cell phone/camera wasn't working right but this was the best holiday I ever had in my life...mainly because almost all of my offspring were with me.  I drove to the reunion in St. Stephen, New Brunswick with Cindy, Don, and 3 of the best dogs in the world to a gorgeous cottage right on the banks of the Bay of Fundy that we shared with Tyson, Kyle and Tahera, Aeron and Jake with more than enough room for at least 20 people.  Kyle and Tyson brought their dogs, too, and it was wonderful to see all of them well behaved and romping happily in and out of the bay.

The reunion was held at Tammy and Doug's home where they have a huge property also on the Bay of Fundy with room for the 80 or so people who came to the reunion and partied for 3 days.  A few stayed at Tammy's house but most found B&B's or nice motel rooms...some also stayed with family who lived nearby.

Most of my family (including Shelley, John, Lisette, Nicole, and Sam) moved on to travel to Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and the Cabot Trail after the reunion but Tyson stayed on with me.  Kim, Matt, and Kellie had to return home because they had to go to work.

Oh, yes, most of my family came over to the cottage before heading out on the Monday to help me celebrate my 79th birthday, the happiest birthday of my life!

After the gang left, Marilee and Faye moved in with me and Tyson and we had another few days of wonderful weather, fun, shopping, eating, and just plain enjoying the beautiful porch view of the Bay of Fundy and Spoon Island.  Tyson lit bonfires for us every night and we basked in the happiness of good company and even good booze.

I can't mention every wonderful moment but I'll point out a few...seeing my immediate family interact with cousins they love, seeing Shelley and her family that I usually only see when I'm in Florida; watching Nolan and Nash get to know and have fun with their maritime blood relatives they hadn't met before; having Mary who is not a family member any more still feel so comfortable joining the reunion; watching Tammy and Valerie so confident and organized directing all the proceedings; laughing at Don as his dogs (Toby and Murphy) kept running into the water to swim when we were trying to get ready to go out; having all of my children and grandchildren (minus Jake who had to work) all together at once...so many more precious moments but there were also glorious ones that I'll mention.

Spending lots of time with Tyson...I'll always cherish those one on one hours in front of the bonfire, spending lots of alone time with Marilee who I seldom get all to myself...having my morning coffee out on the front porch and watching the Bay of Fundy tide go in and out.   These are the times in our life we oldsters know enough to treasure because they aren't always common in everyone's life.  

And now on a more unhappy but still kind of funny note...Kim, Matt and Kellie had to leave for home right after the reunion because they had to go to work so they packed up and drove to the U.S. border (it's faster and cheaper for gas driving through the States from where we were in New Brunswick to home).  They were held up 3 hours and then refused entry because someone with Matt's name but a slightly different birthdate was wanted on a warrant.  This is pretty scary that they couldn't differentiate between the 2 people...in this case Kim could just drive home through Canada but what if Matt had been on his way to vacation In Florida?  Anyway, they got home much later than expected and Matt had to contact the RCMP to clear his name so he can be allowed into the States.  I know the U.S. has to be careful who they allow in but they also should have the ability to differentiate between 2 people with the same names!

Cindy and Don came back for me on Friday (Shelley and her bunch stopped by on their way to Bangor where they'd fly home).  Cindy, Don, and I left for home Saturday morning and drove right through to get home sometime after 11 P.M.  No matter how much you love your vacation, it's always heaven to get back home and back into your routine.

I really do have one of the best families in the world.      

No comments: