Friday, January 17, 2020

The Haves and the Have Nots

I'm an avid people watcher and have learned some amazing things about people in my lifetime just by watching the people, even strangers, around me.  I know I'm one of the "haves" in life because of my family and friends but I also know there is another side, another class of people in this world that aren't fortunate to have good family and friends around them.

The other day, Faye and I were out shopping and I had reached my limit of strength but still wanted a few things from the grocery store.  Dear Faye, 84 years old and one of the best friends anyone could hope for, went into the grocery store by herself to purchase what I needed.  As I sat in the car, exhausted and very thankful for Faye, a battered and rusty old van pulled up and parked in the handicapped spot facing me.  I watched as an elderly man who appeared to be in his 80's slowly exited the vehicle.  He wore loose clothing on a terribly emaciated body and from under the clothing hung various bags and tubes which indicated he had recently gone through some invasive surgery.  He very slowly made his way into the store to do his grocery shopping.  This man should never have had to do this on his own.  Where were his family or friends to help him in his time of need?

No, we are not all lucky to have people who love us and care for us.  But, if we do, we should be ever grateful for our lot in life even if the sun doesn't always shine on our little world.  To be blessed with good family and good friends is invaluable. 

No comments: