Monday, May 08, 2006

Touring a Funeral Home

My sister-in-law e-mailed me today to say that she and her husband toured a funeral home which had just opened. Now, there's nothing wrong with doing that if you might be needing such services in the near future but for two healthy, busy people to find a funeral home open house interesting....well, I just think they need a new hobby!

My husband passed away last summer and I was forced to meet with a funeral home representative to make arrangements. For those who might not know, things are done differently now. The representative was wonderful to deal with...very dignified, capable, and kind. We (my three daughters and I) chose a package that covered all the details we preferred not to dwell on but had to be considered. This "package" made the process easier for all of us.

During the funeral, the room was filled with loving and caring family and friends who were there to support us in our time of loss and to show their respect for my husband. Again, this funeral was a little different. Two of our grandsons stood before us and spoke about what their grandfather had meant in their lives...including many very funny stories. My granddaughter played her Grampa's guitar and sang, along with two more granddaughters, two more grandsons and the girlfriend of one of them. Their chosen song was "I Hope You Had the Time of Your Life". We all laughed, cried, and hoped he had, too.

No comments: