Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Good News

My son-in-law had a cancerous kidney removed last December and has been recovering beautifully ever since. He had one of a series of catscans last week and received news today that all is still well. He and my daughter came here to tell me the good news but, looking at my daughter sobbing her heart out from the tension they'd been under, I could see that this rotten disease is taking a bitter toll on their mental health. Only the passing of time will help heal these wounds.

Many years ago I did volunteer work at the Cancer Clinic. My job was to bring patients into the examing rooms but, more often, it meant just sitting with them and letting them talk out their worries and concerns. It always amazed me how many were long term cancer survivors and, the more distant their cancers, how cheery they were. It must be like being given a death sentence and then given another chance at life. Since that time I've come to know many cancer survivors and I haven't met one yet that had a bad attitude.

Life is often what you make of it but I believe that we cherish more what we almost lose, whether it be life, a relationship, success, etc. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could train ourselves to wake up each morning and say "I'm going to be happy today"...and then be happy? Maybe the cancer survivors have learned that little trick.

No comments: