Sunday, September 10, 2006

9/11--A Canadian Perspective

I can't remember a time in my life that I felt such absolute horror as on September 11, 2001. My sister-in-law had phoned and informed me with much sadness that the United States had just suffered a terrorist attack. I turned on the T.V., expecting to hear that some cruel and cowardly terrorist had planted a mailbox bomb, but was horrified to see a large plane fly into the Twin Towers and explode. The emotions that ran through my mind at that moment took my breath away as I sat there in shock watching a scene that will be imbedded in my mind forever.

I'll never forget the scenes of fleeing pedestrians, covered with grey dust and looking almost insane in their terror. When the towers imploded I experienced an anger against the terrorists that bordered on hatred. If I had been the president of the United States at that moment I would have sent every nuclear bomb available to blow Iraq off the face of the earth. And I would have been wrong.

I'm still not exactly sure what nationality the terrorists were but it doesn't really matter. They were misguided by their religious leaders who chose to preach hatred and destruction rather than peace and love for their fellow man. So, do we bomb every mosque in an attempt to stop the evil prophets? I hope we Canadians and Americans, regardless of ethnic origin, have more intelligence and respect for life than to retalliate evil for evil.

Like the holocaust of the second world war, we should never forget what travesties human beings are capable of committing and 9/11 will stand out in history as a day when religion showed it's ugly face. The church, or mosque, will continue to be a powerful influence in our lives, but a religious leader who preaches hatred should be thrown out of the community. I hope and pray that the immigrants to America will develop allegiance to their new country and choose to protect it...because it is now their home.

Peace.

No comments: