Sunday, October 15, 2006

Guns Vs Yelling

One of the funniest lines I ever heard was from a comedian comparing Canada to the United States. He said that the United States has drive by shootings but Canada has drive by yellings. What a terrific perspective on our more gentle society. Of course we have the same murders, robberies, etc. that occur in the States but on a smaller scale. It appears that we're no different but just about 50 years behind in development.

When I cross the border to the States I instantly become more alert to my surroundings, feeling slightly less secure with my safety. On the surface it looks much the same as in Canada but I know that many of the drivers sharing the road with me in the U.S. are toting guns along with their cell phones. I know that many of the trailers in my Florida park contain guns, also. I often wonder how many people in the U.S. lose their lives every year because they've angered someone who happened to possess a gun...someone who, if no gun existed, would have resorted to yelling at them instead.

There have been times in my life that I was so furious that the object of my anger was fortunate I didn't have a gun. I did quite well with yelling and cursing which did some damage but wasn't fatal. No-one has the capacity to enfuriate a woman half as much as her husband or significant other. It's surprising to me that so many American men survive into old age...especially since many display the same "pain in the ass" characteristics as their Canadian counterparts. And their wives have guns!

No comments: