Friday, November 24, 2006

American Thanksgiving

We Canadian snowbirds to Florida have the good luck to enjoy 2 Thanksgivings...our own in October and the American one in November. Yesterday our clubhouse was filled to overflowing with seniors and their young visitors all noisily enjoying the American Thanksgiving dinner.

Before any dinner we have a resident retired minister lead us in prayer in gratitude for the gifts of life and friendship. I, being a staunch agnostic, bent my head and gave heart felt thanks for all the good fortune I've been granted in my life. If nothing else, the fates deserve my thanks for allowing me this beautiful day with good friends.

After a huge dinner that made me want to crawl under the table and have a nap, we joined the kitchen crew and helped in the clean-up. I still wanted to go home and have a nap but my friends insisted we go up to the shuffleboard court and play a few games. The sun was shining and the weather had warmed up to the high 60's so I agreed. They were right...by the time we'd played a while I no longer needed the nap and was happy to be just where I was.

That was my Thanksgiving Day and I'm thankful for it.

No comments: