Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Sisters

My mother was one of 3 daughters in her family and they all hated each other. All of their lives! I've often thought what a waste that was and how much they all lost. Hatred is an emotion that not only drains you of strength but also must change your chemical makeup. Hatred colors your complete personality.

I was fortunate enough to give birth to three daughters who all love each other dearly. It wasn't always the case because my two oldest girls fought constantly when they were young. It worried me to think they might carry their disagreements on into adulthood but things changed when they left home. Over the years their bonds as sisters have strengthened and give them immense happiness to be in each other's company. They know they'll always have each other to lean on.

Isn't it sad that my mother and her sisters missed that opportunity? They lived out their lives in stubborn refusal to forgive some wrong (probably forgotten) and lost the opportunity to add a little more love to their time on earth.

My sister and I have had our spats but we're in this world together and we'll leave it as the best of friends. We're the lucky ones.

1 comment:

bluebird of paradise said...

what a lovely piece. i feel that way about my sisters ( that grouop includes you ) we are so very lucky to have such great ones.
m