Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Bragging Gramma

One of the rewards of being a Gramma is that you have bragging rights about your grandchildren. There is a universal code that grandparents can praise their grandchildren to the stars without anyone thinking ill of them. I can listen for hours as a Gramma or Grampa tells one and all about how their special grandchild is superior in all ways to every other child alive. When they're finished, I know they'll listen politely as I explain how my own grandchildren are equally special and wonderful. Somehow this works best when only grandparents are involved because younger audiences tend to develop a glaze over their eyes if you go on too long.

I'm spending a week with my youngest daughter's family and her children are absolute treasures. Their father is of Cuban heritage so they have the most beautiful skin coloring of anyone in the rest of our family. They're also just too beautiful to look at for extended periods of time. Did I mention that they are 3 of the best behaved children in the world??

I took the 2 girls (aged 15 1/2 and 14 1/4) out for dinner last night and spent most of the time listening to the oldest's views on religion, politics, human psychology, and the unfairness of not being allowed to date until she's 16. I could have drowned in her beautiful face just watching how animated and serious she was as she exposed her soul to me. I couldn't help but think that this is what life is all about...to see your progeny in full bloom. And this one is even writing a book!

Coley, the younger girl, was just as chatty until her older sister took over the conversation. I didn't realize until later that she'd been unceremoniously shunted to the side while I listened in rapture to her sibling. No problem! Grandchildren have much lower expectations of their grandparents than they do their parents so I was easily forgiven when, back home, I called her to my side and we cuddled while I gave her my total attention. The 2 sisters are outstanding beauties but have very different personalities. Lisette is dramatic and intent while Coley is quieter with a terrific sense of humor. I think they are absolutely precious!

Just so no-one gets the impression that I've ignored my sweet little grandson...he had an upset stomache so couldn't go out for dinner with us. Now he's something very special too! He's so cute that little girls fall all over themselves when he's around (it's the Cuban genes). He's so smart that it's almost scary. I took him out for a belated birthday trip on Saturday and he spent the day enthralling me with stories of his view of the world. He's smarter than me so I have to take his every word as gospel.

Please forgive me as I go on and on about these kids. I'm on grandparent overdrive right now...any grandparent will understand. For those of you who haven't yet reached "grandparent" status...your time will come!

1 comment:

bluebird of paradise said...

of course we are allowed to brag about our grandchildren. they are the best of our life.......
i am unashamed in singing the praises of my grandchildren. they are the best!