Friday, December 29, 2006

My Elvis Curtain

I'm having my basement remodeled and that includes my sewing room. Everything down there is going to be like brand new when it's done and I thought that my sewing room should have a little pizzazz so I've bought a beaded Elvis curtain for the closet door. It shows Elvis in black leather looking like he did when I was in my teens. What a glorious flashback!

My daughters have been rolling their eyes over my choice of decor but they have no idea what Elvis meant to the female poplulation in the late 50's and, acually, on up till the day he died in 1977.

I was 15 years old in 1955 and living in a rather stodgy world. Pat Boone was the new star and he was pretty boring. Then along came Elvis Presley. His crooked grin, blues/rock music, and suggestive moves appeared on the scene when most of us teenagers were dying for some excitement. I've loved him ever since.

When Elvis started doing Vegas and some movies he lost my attention just a bit but when he was aging and overweight he gained my love back because he had become vulnerable. It's sad to see a great star like Elvis not knowing when to rid himself of the flashy costumes and not-so-limber moves of his youth. But his voice improved every year and that grin was always the same.

One of Elvis' most endearing qualities was his politeness. From the day I first saw him on the Ed Sullivan show (pelvis blocked out), he remained polite, kind, and good humored in public. There was never any scandal associated with Elvis unless we take into account his addiction to prescription drugs. His downfall came from unethical doctors who overprescribed pain medication.

I'm proud of the fact that the largest Elvis festival is held each year in Collingwood, Ontario in Canada. We'll never forget you, Elvis.

1 comment:

bluebird of paradise said...

i'm a big elvis fan too , although i have to confess when i was a teen i loved pat boone. my wild rebellious sister loved elvis. i don't admit this fact to many.