Friday, December 15, 2006

Santa's Revenge

Have you ever wondered what words are spoken to your little one as he/she sits on Santa's knee? Years ago, when my firstborn grandson was 2 1/2, I took my little treasure to the mall to see Santa. Nicky toddled up the red carpeted walkway to the awaiting Santa and climbed up on his knee. I stood back behind a short picket fence allowing my brave little man his space and smiled lovingly as he and Santa sat in conversation too quiet for me to hear.

After a few moments, Nicky climbed off Santa's lap and walked back to me. He seemed a little quiet as I asked him what he'd told Santa he wanted. He rattled off a list and then I asked him what Santa had said to him. That sweet little boy looked up at me and replied, "He said get out of the mall, kid".

This has been a running joke in our family for 20 years and we've all tried to figure out what Santa actually said that could have sounded like that. We've also wondered if Santa had a bad day and those were the exact words he spoke. Hmmm!

No comments: