Friday, January 12, 2007

Family Support

When we are young, most of us think we'll live forever. We think our lives will only become better as the years go by. Once we have children true reality settles upon us and we come to realize that life is tenuous. Our children develop illnesses that frighten us with their potential. Our own illnesses make us worry we won't survive to see our children grown. But life goes on and we deal with it in our own way.

I'm always harping on the strength of the family to help us survive life's catastrophes because I've lived long enough to know this is true. I've seen it over and over again in my own family and I'm grateful to the bottom of my heart for the wonderful family I've been blessed with.

My son-in-law had a cancerous kidney removed 13 months ago and recovered so well over the past year that we all thought he was one of the lucky ones. His last catscan showed a tumor lying between his liver and heart and will have to be treated with chemo and radiation because it's apparently too dangerous to remove surgically. David is 47 years old and the love of my daughter's life.

They are not alone. Both have very loving, supportive families to ease the pain of this new discovery and who will be beside them every step of the way. The Cancer Clinic in our home town is excellent (I had to learn this when my husband needed their expertise 2 years ago).

Being in a senior park, I'm surrounded by older people who have experienced everything that life has to offer and I often hear of people who are cancer survivors. One lady in particular has survived 3 separate cancers...esophagus, breast, and bowel. She walks daily at a pace to make me envious and has a very busy lifestyle. It's people like this who give us hope against this deadly disease.

As for my son-in-law, he'll receive the best medical treatment available and he'll also receive the love and support of his family. Only time will tell the rest of the story.

1 comment:

bluebird of paradise said...

my prayers are with them. they are so lucky to have wonderful family. you are as always right in this. and if i may add such a wonderful heartfelt writer...........