Saturday, January 13, 2007

Child Molestors

I have a theory about child molestors. Their minds are so badly damaged and distorted that they can never be normal again. Whatever has shaped their twisted thinking has made them permanently dangerous to the general population and they should be removed and kept isolated from the rest of us until the day they die.

I have many memories of "dirty old men" in my childhood who had to be kept at a distance. But there is one clear memory of being molested by my step father that I'll never forget. I was 4 years old. He was 22 years old and married to my mother who was 26 years old.

I lived with my grandparents but had been left alone in his care for some reason. He took me into the bedroom and made me touch him. I was just a baby and had no idea what was happening other than I felt a sense of something not being quite right. During the molestation my mother walked in the door and my memory of what happened next is blacked out. I do know she continued to live with him.

I can only hope that was the only incident because I have no memory of anything more. There has never been one moment when I blamed myself for what happened...many children who are molested believe they must share the blame.

This man sexually abused me as a small child, physically abused my mother, and later was imprisoned for disposing of his girlfriend's newborn baby in a garbage can. No one can tell me that man had any hope of living a normal life or being a safe member of his community. I believe he was able to do these horrible things because his mind had developed an accepting attitude towards depravity. He might learn more self control but the damage wouldn't be eradicated and he would always present a danger.

Molestors are most often men, but not always. They can be your priest or doctor , your hockey coach or teacher, your elderly neighbor or uncle, your friend's father or even a police officer. The disfunction can be anywhere.

My message to anyone reading this blog is that, if we really want to protect our children from sexual predators, we have to permanently remove them from society at the first infraction. They will harm again, and again, and again if set free.




No comments: