Friday, February 16, 2007

Equality in Hiring

We don't hear too much anymore about equal opportunities for minorities acquiring government jobs. When it was painfully obvious that minorities were not getting their fair share of jobs, I was all for giving them a better advantage. What I don't like is the idea that a minority applicant will be hired ahead of anyone else with better qualifications. That is just another form of discrimination.

The Hispanic population in Florida is growing in leaps and bounds. I only winter here but even I can see it clearly. I have no problem with becoming a minority race in Florida. I've never been treated badly by any of the Hispanics that I come in contact with on a regular basis. In fact, they treat me with more respect than I'm used to getting. Hispanics still have a healthy respect for age.

Mexicans and Cubans seem to comprise the largest group to be flooding into Florida. For the most part they are hard working people who only want a better life for themselves and their children. Many are illegals and my heart goes out to them because they have no protection in their new country. Even though this is a major financial burden to legal taxpayers, I can't really blame these people for moving here illegally. The U.S. government is going to have to find a way to deal with them in a humane way...let them stay and make a life for themselves, and then they can become a real part of this country.

I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a country illegally, knowing that any moment you can be arrested and torn away from the life you've built for yourself. We're the lucky ones because our ancestors came to America many, many years ago when they were welcomed here. Generations have benefited from those pioneers and that is the driving force behind the illegal aliens of today. They want their descendents to benefit from their move. I hope so much that something can be worked out to make them legal citizens of their new country.




No comments: