Sunday, March 25, 2007

Family

A big chunk of our family back home gathered to celebrate my sister-in-law's birthday on Friday...she turned 75. Because it was most convenient, they opened up another sister-in-law's house (she's here in Florida) and had ONE of the parties there. It would have been so nice to be there but I'm rejoicing in the fact that my family is still so close and loving that they made a point of getting together for this monumental birthday.

My daughter mentioned that family get-togethers are so much more relaxed than gatherings of friends. With family you don't have to put on a front...they've seen every aspect of you already. It's also important that with family you are in a place where you belong.

When I married into my husband's family it was a real eye opener. They were everything that a family should be...close, caring, and supportive. They gathered me in, as they do with every newcomer to the family, and I consider them no different than brothers and sisters to me. My children were raised right along with their cousins and have remained friends to this day. What is like balm to my soul is that the following generation of children are also friends. How wonderful!

Sure, we have the odd family member we simply tolerate, but "we are family". That simple phrase has the strength of steel.




4 comments:

Kim said...

You made me cry! Some people have their religion for a crutch in tough times...I have my family.

patsyrose said...

And we have you, baby! Together we can make it through anything, right?

Shelley said...

Don't call me "odd"!! ;-)
Love you all!

patsyrose said...

My Shelley, you are in the top 3 favorites on my list.