Saturday, March 31, 2007

Losing Words

Most of us, as we grow older, begin to have brain farts. We'll be chattering away when, all of a sudden, the word we want won't come to mind. I've been having these brain farts for years and adjusted to replacing the word I wanted with another one. It's sort of funny because when we replace a word we often take a step up in our vocabulary and, in doing so, sound rather uppity.

With all the talk about senility and Alzeimers in seniors, we can become a bit nervous when we forget anything. But most of the time we're able to laugh it off. Last summer there were 5 of us older ladies having lunch and one was telling an interesting story. She stopped suddenly, forgetting the next word and looked to the lady on her right for help. That lady, in turn, looked to her right for help. This went around the table until the look landed back on the original lady. We sat there laughing like teenagers.

I love writing on the computer because I can substitute a word when the one I want has escaped me and then insert it later if and when it comes to mind. When I consider how much I learn with every new day, the amount I forget doesn't compare. I think I'm still ahead of the game!

2 comments:

bluebird of paradise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bluebird of paradise said...

oh! oh! you said a bad word......... ;)