Thursday, March 08, 2007

My Son-In-Law

I have 3 sons-in-law but this blog is about the man who is married to my youngest daughter.

Shelley left home in Canada to work as a nurse in Texas and it was there she met John. Apparently it was very romantic...eye contact across a crowded room and love thereafter. I visited Shelley in Texas amd met John for the first time when they'd just started dating. I took one look at him...latino handsome, intelligent, well mannered, good family...and knew I'd lost my little girl. I've always loved John because he's a terrific human being but I never knew the true depths of the man until he was injured in a helicopter crash and lost his leg below the knee.

John is in the U.S. air force and was on a mission in south america when his helicopter crashed. It was touch and go for a while whether he'd survive but he did survive with an amputated leg. It was terribly traumatic for the whole family wondering what the future held for their little family...John, Shelley, Lisette, and Nicole.

I went down to Florida (where they were living at the time) and took care of the girls while John was in the hospital in Texas and Shelley was at his side. When John was able to come home I watched with amazement as this severely damaged young man took hold of his situation and began to work his way back to a "normal" life. His attitude was so good and his determination so strong...he strove for independence every moment of his day. His goal was to run within 3 months and he did reach his goal. Within a year he was flying helicopters again.

I'm sure he had moments when his confidence lagged but I never saw them. What I saw was a very brave man who accepted what fate had handed him and continued to be a success in his family life and in his chosen career.

Fourteen months after his accident, Shelley gave birth to their son, Jake. Today, 8 1/2 years later, their little family of 5 are happy, healthy, and living a wonderfully exciting life.

You chose well, Shelley.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Shelley always gets mad at me when she calls me to complain about John and I always tell her "shut up and do what he says". - I know he can be a pain in the butt, but he's about as close to perfect as they come.

Shelley said...

I couldn't comment yesterday because I was mad at him! LOL With just cause Kim!!! :-)~
I agree Momma - I did good!