Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Luau

Every year in March we have a sort of farewell party for the winter residents. It's called the "Luau" because the theme is Hawaiian...food, decorations, entertainment, and the guests get to wear flowery dresses and shirts. I don't go anymore because it bores me. I don't know why.

Golfing bores me but many people absolutely love golf. Football bores me but it's a national pastime. Western movies bore me but I love country music. We're all so different with our likes and dislikes. I'm noticing more that the people I chum around with don't necessarily share all of my particular likes and dislikes but we do have common ground. And that is what the friendship is based on. We kindly tolerate the differences and concentrate on the similarities. Most of them are at the luau tonight but one is coming to my house to share a glass of wine and some good conversation.

It's the diversity in personalities that makes people interesting. Wouldn't it be boring if everyone was the same?

Postscript: I had a full patio of guests tonight, some who didn't go to the luau and some who did but left early. It was a beautiful, warm evening and we sat out, drank a bit of wine, and laughed a lot.

No comments: