Sunday, April 15, 2007

I'm Back Home

I'm back home after 1 1/2 days on the road. The trip was rather uneventful and, other than being forced to stay in a motel by myself the one night, the only other scares were the occasional crazy drivers I encountered.

It's great to be home. There's no place like it in the whole world...didn't someone write a song about that? Home is where your real things are...your 50 year old photos showing you when you were thin, your favorite recliner for watching T.V., your collections of whatever (mine are glassware), the dinnerware you bought for special occasions, silverware once owned by your Gramma, and your very own special pillow that nestles your head perfectly. Home is where you sigh, knowing you're where you belong.

I brought a lot of new stuff into my home this spring...tons of fabric, stuff to sell on Ebay or take to the flea market, a tree face (always wanted one), about 6 pair of shoes (too pretty to not buy), and a few bottles of rum and gin (okay, I lied to the border guard). Looking at the pile of loot, I wonder why I didn't exercise better control of my spending urges. Then I think, "well, I certainly won't shop like this next year!"...but I think I said the same thing last year.

I had coffee this morning in the special mug my grandchildren bought me for my birthday about 10 years ago. It never fails to bring a smile to my face in recollection of the day it was bought. My middle girl's 3 children took me out for lunch which Kyle, the only one with a wallet, paid for. Then we walked around the attached gift shop searching for the perfect gift. Kyle was so intent on pleasing me and shyly pointed out things I knew were too expensive but we finally chose a lovely, blue pottery mug. Tyson and Aeron stood solemnly by as Kyle drew the money from his little wallet and paid the cashier. It still brings tears to my eyes and it's a memory I'll cherish as long as I live.

Many of the "things" we have in our homes come with wonderful stories and memories. It's these attachments that make our house our home.

3 comments:

bluebird of paradise said...

what a brave girl you are to drive across a continent. glad you are safely home.

bluebird of paradise said...

what a brave girl you are to drive across a continent. glad you are safely home.

Lisette said...

Hello, Gramma!

I finally got a blog up, just like the rest of my crazy canadian family. Just wanted to drop by and say that I miss you, and Canada!

I love you,
Lisette