Sunday, May 06, 2007

Neighborly Neighbors

The neighborhood I live in is a nice, friendly one. People visit back and forth, form little conversation groups on the front lawns, and keep a watchful eye over their neighbor's homes.

I've watched countless shows on Judge Judy and People's Court about feuding neighbors and just can't believe one could be unlucky enough to move next door to any of them.

The worst neighbor I ever had was one of my best friends. Actually, it wasn't her but her teenage sons who were the problem. They loved to pull into their driveway at all hours of the day or night and listen to their car radio, music blasting and disturbing to sleeping ears even with windows closed. To make matters worse, their driveway was directly below my bedroom window.

My husband and I never complained until one morning when the youngest son was sitting in his car enjoying his music at top volume. My husband was in the fire department at that time and had just returned from an overnight shift so he was trying to sleep. I went over to David's car and explained the situation to him in a polite, "neighborly" way. He was shocked that he'd caused any disturbance and apologized profusely. He was genuinely surprised that others could hear the noise because he'd kept his car windows closed. The windows were shaking but the noise couldn't escape...right!

From then on the boys would park their cars at the end of the driveway, as far away from our bedroom window as possible...and listen to their loud music at all hours of the day or night. We never complained because they'd made an effort and they were basically good neighbors...and their Momma was one of my best friends. I did keep mental count of the years left before they'd get married and move away, though.

Now they're gone and so is my friend (she passed away 2 years ago). I miss them all because they really were good neighbors.

And that is why we never ended up on Judge Judy or People's Court.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I was amazed when Mrs. K was mourned literally next door, across the hall, to Pops at the funeral home - coincidence? Perhaps not, simply fitting. Our dearest neighbours, even at the end...