Sunday, May 06, 2007

Transvestite at the Mall

Every once in a while I run across a transvestite and this is what goes through my mind...surprise, then sadness for their lack of fashion sense, then sadness for their plight. I don't know whether the person at the mall today was "a female trapped in a male body" or a man who just likes to cross dress occasionally. Whatever their problem they hadn't achieved a very good transformation and still looked like a man dressed as a woman.

My sister noticed the person first and was puzzled as to gender. I took a peek out of nosiness and saw a "woman" about 6'2" dressed in a silky purple dress, black lace shawl and wobbly high heels. I couldn't see any 5 o'clock shadow but the make-up was awfully thick. The features were decidedly male. Make-up on a manly face is pretty grotesque.

I've watched many T.V. shows on transvestites and these people are really suffering. Apparently their DNA is that of a normal male so why do they feel such strong urges to be female?

We can dismiss them as nut cases but some of these people actually go through full surgical transformation from male to female and that isn't easy or cheap. I can only hope that they've been evaluated as mentally sane before any surgeon touches them. I also wonder if, once they've been successfully transformed, they finally feel happy and complete.

I know that the reverse...female to male...happens also but I've never seen one except on T.V. How unsettling it is to think of these poor souls feeling alienated from their own bodies.

Whatever their story, I hope they find happiness. Life is hard for the average person but someone like the transvestite I saw today carries a much larger burden every waking hour.



No comments: