Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Things Are Looking Up

Renovator #1 phoned me back with a price. Renovator #2 is coming tonight to look at the job and give me a price. It's hard to believe how worried I was when faced with this surprise job on my hands and unable to get my mind around the fact that there were options available.

My friend, Carole, just sold her house, too. It had been on the market for about a year and she was pretty desperate to sell it considering she'd already purchased another one. At the 11th hour, 2 bids came in at the same time and she was able to accept the higher one. Given time, things do have a way of working themselves out.

I have a grandson just like me. We don't like sudden change and we don't like things being up in the air and not settled.

He changed schools when he was 6 years old and I remember him standing in line waiting for the doors to open. He wasn't saying a word but tears were running down his little face. As I comforted him a little girl from his class walked up and tenderly brushed the tears from his face...and I knew he'd be alright.

When my husband passed away, I felt as though I was skittering through life on a "wing and a prayer" (as my daughter would say). I had no idea if I'd be able to manage the house or my life on my own. Almost 2 years later I've discovered that I can handle most anything...given time and luck.

Every one of us has untapped resources within ourselves. It's easy to let the other person handle a problem but, when we do it ourselves, we feel stronger and more capable. I think I know my limits and I'm not ashamed to admit it. There's always an alternative if we just give ourselves a moment to consider it.

Back to the ongoing saga of my basement renovation...it will get done and it wasn't the end of the world.

No comments: