Monday, June 11, 2007

Cancer

My son-in-law, David, has been battling kidney cancer for about a year and a half. He's currently using a powerful new drug called Nexavar which comes in pill form. He's doing very well.

My daughter directed me to a blog journal being kept by an amazing man chronicling his journey with kidney cancer, the drugs, the side effects, and the successes. It's so important that we hear about the successes because just the word "cancer" creates fear.

I'll bet that every one of us knows of someone who died from cancer but we also probably know of more people who have beaten it. That came as a surprise to me when I took the time to really think about it.

There are new drugs and new treatments being discovered every day and oncologists are definitely better equipped to help cancer patients today than they were even a year ago.

The drug my son-in-law is taking is very new and very expensive so we're thankful my daughter's health insurance company is covering the cost. Our national health insurance doesn't cover the cost at this moment in time and it worries me that people without additional insurance won't receive this wonder drug.

The gentleman who is writing the journal comes across as good natured but determined to do everything humanly possible to destroy the cancer. His strong, upbeat attitude will aid him in his battle.

No-one knows how they'll react if they're given the news they have a life threatening illness but I know that by reading or hearing of the successes of people in similar situations they'll carry more hope. Having hope can be the difference between life and death. We're told never to give up hope because then the body's natural defences give up, too.

I equate that with giving up hope in your fight to retain anything, whether it's a good marriage, a successful project, or a healthy plant. If you cease to mentally fight for it's survival, it just might not make it.

David has a wonderful attitude and is taking the side effects of the drug in stride, continuing to work and enjoy life. His chances grow with every day and so do our hopes of a complete cure.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I also browsed through a book called "Cancer is a word not a sentence". True dat.