Tuesday, June 12, 2007

People Helping People

I've been trying to encourage my friend and "relative", Donna, to write a blog about her experiences in caring for her daughter who is severely disabled. Donna is married to my husband's cousin so I'm not sure how she's related to me but she is.

Donna is worried that she has nothing to contribute to anyone and can't see that all she's learned in about 35 years of caring for her daughter could benefit others just starting out. She and her husband chose to keep Jill at home rather than put her in a nursing home and I'm sure that's why Jill does so well.

It's common to think that our own lives are so mundane that no-one would be interested in what we have to say but we've had life experiences we can provide to others in our same situation. We can learn from them, too, and it also helps to know you're not alone.

I've had a pen pal from New Jersey for quite a few years and can't wait for the day I meet her in person. We found each other on a website which helps overweight people get in contact with each other and discuss our problems and solutions. She's become more than a sounding board about weight because she's a fabulously interesting lady with 66 years of living experience.

My point is that we all have something to offer. Our own experiences may be unique in a way but they so often coincide with the life experiences or interests of other people. Like I said before, it helps to know you're not alone.

I hope Donna gains the confidence to share her knowledge on the internet because she has a world of experience in caring for a disabled child and I know she can be of tremendous help to others.

No comments: