Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Homesick

My youngest daughter, Shelley, and her family are in the military and currently stationed in Argentina. Her husband, John, will be promoted shortly and they'll all return to Florida (their home base) for the ceremony. The children are wildly excited and I think this is the first time they've shown any homesickness. Being a military family, they've lived in many different states and even countries all the children's lives.

I've been feeling a little glum lately and have come to the realization that I miss my little Florida home and all the daily activity there. Of course, Canada will always be my true home but that special trailer park in Florida has become like home to me, too. Maybe, if we're lucky, we can feel like we're at home in more than one place.

"Home" is where we feel comfortable and where we have some history. Our stuff is there. We know our neighbors and where to shop. Home is our own personal space to live in. And home is usually close to where most of our relatives live.

In my trailer park in Florida, my friends and neighbors all live in such close proximity and we see each other constantly. We become closer than friends. I'm finding lately that I miss their faces. I miss the days full of conversation and laughter.

Well, I'll be seeing a lot of those people in just a few short weeks when we have our summer reunion. It will be just a bit like going home.



No comments: