Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Extended Families

My three daughters have all married into nice families with great in-laws that I like to hang around with. My son-in-law had a small birthday party today and his brother, sister, their mates, and his Mom and Dad were there. We sat around just gabbing about average stuff but I kept thinking how nice it was that our extended family had become friends as well as in-laws.

It's really great to gather more people into the family fold. My children and my grandchildren have all been taught the joys and benefits of strong family ties.

I'm sure my daughters are happy that their parents and in-laws have gotten along so well because there's never any tension in get-togethers like tonight. I always look forward to seeing them and hope they like my company, too.

Starting with my husband's parents, the number of their children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc., plus the mates and all the in-laws could easily populate a small town. It's been a busy family.

My second granddaughter, Lisette, once said that she'd love to see all of her relatives lined up in front of her house. Well, Lisette, you'll be happy to know that there are so many of us that you'd never be able to see the end of the line.

When first meeting my daughters' in-laws I was a little nervous about whether or not they'd like me. We were all a little stiff and uncomfortable for a short while until we realized that none of us were all that different and, once we relaxed, were able to really get to know each other.

I've now got extended family spreading out like octopus tentacles, and then splitting off and beyond like nerve endings. The more the merrier!



1 comment:

Kim said...

David really had a lot of fun last night. Thanks for sharing it.
xoxoxox