Saturday, June 30, 2007

I'm Back

I can't believe how awful it's been not being able to blog for almost 2 weeks!! My computer crashed and I'm just now getting back online.

My old computer was on it's way out for a long time but I thought I still had plenty of time to shop for a new one. Nooo! Computers die when their time has come and nothing will bring them back to life. Since I know so little about computers I needed to drag my young neighbors shopping with me to talk to the sales people so I wouldn't drive them crazy with my blank stares and silly questions.

I came home with a brand new computer and my dear young neighbors set to work hooking it up for me. Sounds simple? Not on your life!

First I was dogsitting my daughter's yappy Jack Russell Terriers and they were naturally curious about what Anna was doing under the computer desk and insisted on climbing under there with her so I had to shut them (the dogs) away in the bathroom. They barked. And barked. And barked continuously out of justifiable outrage.

Anna spent hours under the desk because the connection to the new computer from my U.S. bought monitor (terrific buy that I just had to haul all the way home from Florida) was too short. Anna's sister, Lisa, and I went off to buy a new one. It didn't work. Anna phoned the store and told them exactly what she needed and I went and got it. Problem solved? Not a chance in hell!

The new cable plugged in where it should but now my phones were dead. I borrowed my next door neighbor's cell phone and called Bell...first getting a lady from India that I couldn't understand and then getting a man from Quebec I couldn't understand. Somehow I understood the words "tomorrow" and "8 to 5", said goodbye and hoped it meant someone from Bell would be here the next day between 8 A.M. and 5 P.M. Meantime, the dogs were barking up a storm and Anna was sitting under the desk looking very weary.

I swear that within 15 minutes a knock came at the front door and a Bell repairman stood there. He sounded just like the guy from Quebec I'd spoken to on the phone just moments before! I couldn't understand a word he said!!

Now I've got a repairman here who I can barely communicate with, Anna is still under the desk, and the dogs are barking like crazed animals because someone new is in the house and they want to meet him.

During his inspection, the repairman had me unplug all of the house phones. I mistakenly unplugged the one leading to the computer and my phone service came back on. The repairman left, I replugged the phones back in and the lines were dead again. Anna went home and I let the dogs out of the bathroom.

The next day I spoke to a tech at the store where I'd purchased the computer and was told there could be a problem with the modem. I, thinking that he meant the modem was broken, hauled the computer back to the store. I tried to explain my predicament to Customer Service (the lady had a blank, confused look on her face all through my explanation) and she called over one of the sales people. He asked one question, "Are you on low speed dial up service?" I answered, "Yes", and he informed me that the new computer modems won't work with that anymore. None of them! I was about to be launched into the "high speed" lane whether I was ready or not.

I carted that damed heavy computer home again and phoned AOL to order their high speed service. They told me it would take a week or so for the new modem to be delivered to me so I suffered many days with no internet. The modem arrived yesterday and my wonderful daughter, Kim, installed it for me tonight. She wasn't a happy camper but she did it anyway. I have to admit she got a little surly when I told her it would all have to be taken apart and returned to AOL when I leave for Florida in October, though.

Also, the new computer has Windows Vista and it's the pits. It won't let me install my camera program, I can't figure out how to use my printer on it, and everything is just awkward on it...or is it me?

Anyway, I'm back and can't wait to blog about all the interesting things that have been happening in the last 2 weeks.

No comments: