Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Sisterhood

E-mailing is a wonderful thing. It allows us to keep in contact with friends who have moved far away or would have been half forgotten without the contact achieved with the computer.

I received an e-mail this morning from a friend I haven't seen in possibly 15 years. We keep in contact by e-mail and there's a good chance we'll be able to get together this summer when I visit New Brunswick for a family reunion. Her message was about sisterhood and how important the women in our lives are.

When I think back to my childhood I remember living with my sister, my mother, and my grandmother who took us in to live with her and take care of us. My grandfather was there also, but sort of on the the side.

I always had girlfriends to play with, giggle with, and plan for the future with. We understood each other and, without exception, couldn't figure out the boys at all.

During my teen years my social life included about 3 special girlfriends who travelled together. I turned down many an opportunity because my girlfriends weren't included in the invitation. That's how important they were to me. It was only in the company of these girls that I felt confident enough to face the world.

Then along came that special boy and I couldn't care less if my girlfriends were there or not.

Marriage and motherhood sort of separated me from many of my friends but my female relatives began to take their place. Marriage and motherhood cannot be survived without the love and support of the women in your life, whether they are related or not.

When troubles arrived, as they often do, I turned to these women to help me through. I don't think most men can handle the high emotions we women emit when we're distressed.

My young daughters grew up and became three of the most important women in my life...ones I know I can count on and they, in turn, know I'll always be there for them. My young granddaughters are in the wings.

We practice our sisterhood with lunches, baby showers, wedding showers, ladies day out, coffee mornings, phone calls, and e-mails. We continuously bond and strengthen our alliances.

We are women, we are strong. We are sisters.

No comments: