Saturday, June 16, 2007

Weeding

I did some weeding today after neglecting the yard for a few weeks. I carried a little pail around with me to put the weeds in and in just a few short minutes my backyard flower and veggie gardens were weed free. I've had so much to do inside the house so far this year that I haven't weeded as often as I should so it was a pleasant surprise to find it wasn't an overwhelming task.

There are a few young saplings and bushes that are attempting to gain a foothold in the yard and I'm keeping my eye on them to make sure they don't intrude too much. One of my big faults is that I hate to kill a living plant (unless it's a weed) and feel if one of those saplings or bushes want to grow then it should be allowed it's chance.

During my weeding I spotted a couple of my annuals pulled out of their pots and lying on the ground...squirrels!! I do love to sit out in the yard and watch the wildlife going about their business but it ticks me off when the squirrels pull out my plants. Someone told me that squirrels will stay out of your plants if you put toothpicks in them (the plants, that is). I might give that a try because I don't want to hurt the squirrels, just discourage them.

I also cut the grass today, and then watered it to help it grow. The logic of this escapes me.

No comments: