Monday, July 23, 2007

Benefits of a Nap

I crawled out of bed at 4 A.M. this morning so by the time 4 P.M. rolled around I was ready for a nap. It's so nice to have nothing much to do, feel sleepy, and just let the drowsiness take you away.

I slept for an hour and a half, awakened only sporadically by some heavy duty snoring...coming from me, I'm sorry to say. I didn't care. There was no-one around to hear it and I needed the nap.

One of the reasons I fight napping is because I sleep too long. If I could power nap, say for half an hour, it wouldn't be so bad but I've been known to nap for up to three hours. It could have something to do with my poor sleep habits through the night. I think I become overtired from not enough nighttime sleep and drop into too deep a sleep during a nap. In any case, I really can get by quite well on about 5-6 hours sleep so napping is rarely necessary. Last night I only slept for 4 hours and that just wasn't enough to get me through the day.

In my younger days I could sleep till noon and still want more but I always felt as though I was wasting my day. I love being up at dawn and I really do get a lot more work done in a day now. They say people need less sleep as they age and I've found that to be true. We realize time is running out and we want to make the most of what's left to us.



No comments: