Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Broken Hearted

I've been talking to someone recently who is suffering from a broken heart. We've all been there at one time or another and we know that just telling the person they'll get over it in time doesn't help one bit right now.

I remember times when my heart ached so badly I thought it would kill me but it didn't. I thought that no-one had ever loved or hurt as strongly as I did and that no-one could possibly understand what I was going through. I know now that many of them did but they knew from personal experience that there was nothing they could say that would take the pain away. They could only comfort me and stay beside me as I worked my way through.

Being a confidente to someone who is heart broken carries a great responsibility. Your purpose is to allow them to vent their anger, hurt, and worries and hope that the venting will drain some of these pains away. There's a helplessness knowing you can't change things for them but only present yourself as someone who cares.

There's an old adage, "Time heals all wounds". We know this is true but it won't help the heart broken one today. We can only be a caring shoulder for them to lean on until the wounds do heal. They will in time.

1 comment:

bluebird of paradise said...

wonderful and wise