Monday, July 30, 2007

Early Morning Riser

Dawn is one of the most beautiful times of the day. It's an awakening time. A touch of light begins to grow in the morning sky notifying the birds that it's time for them to sing.

I love this time of day. The traffic noise in the distance becomes a little louder as more cars hit the road taking their passengers to work. It's nice to know I'm retired and don't have to join that morning rush. I have only two urgencies...first the bathroom and then the coffee pot.

My house is quiet and everything is as neat as I left it the night before. That's one of the benefits of living alone. I start the coffee and then turn on the computer because I can't enjoy my morning without reading my e-mail before I do any actual work.

I turned the air conditioning off last night and opened the bedroom window, allowing the outside air to cool the room and I slept like a baby. It's still lovely and cool outside now so I also have the patio doors open to bring fresh air into the house as I type. My view out the patio doors is of the deck, bejewelled with mounds of flowers and canopied with the lush greenery of surrounding trees. The morning sun is trying valiantly to penetrate the dense foliage but isn't quite strong enough yet. It's so peaceful.

Too soon the sun will rise in full force and emit enough heat to cause me to close up the house once more and resort to air conditioning. But right now the air temperature and the slow pace of an early morning is a joy to behold.

No comments: