Thursday, August 16, 2007

Blood Test Results

I don't like seeing doctors so I don't have regular check-ups. I had to visit my excellent family doctor a couple of weeks ago and he began nagging me that I haven't had blood work done in 3 years so I gave in and had it done.

There must be many people who feel as I do...what you don't know won't hurt you, right? Well, the test results came back and last week my doctor's nurse phoned me. I knew I was in trouble when I heard her voice saying the doctor wanted to see me again. I asked if the blood test results weren't up to par and she said they were a little higher than he liked.

I saw him today and you'd have to know my sweet doctor to picture his worried face as he read me the results. My years of poor eating habits were slowly turning me into a diabetic. Apparently, my love of pasta is going to have to be replaced with a tolerance for salads. My weight was also going to have to decrease in order to stave off the inevitable diabetes for a few more years.

He's also sending me for more blood tests...I just know they'll give him more reason to worry and he'll make me come in to see him once again. I hate taking medication so I'm going to have to listen to his advice whether I want to or not.

Goodbye pasta. Goodbye baklava. Goodbye to a lot of the good stuff. I hope being healthy doesn't make me crabby.

No comments: