Sunday, August 12, 2007

Elvis Church Service

I have a tee shirt with the message "Before Elvis There Was Nothing". A little over the top but, really and truly, Elvis Presley was a phenomenon who came into the music industry when the world was ready for a change. And change it he did. He was so darned exciting after we'd been bored by the likes of Pat Boone.

My sister, Sharon, attends a non-denominational church where some of our city's black population are a large portion of the congregation. The church is a little different, a little more interesting...not as boring for me as other churches. I'm an agnostic who has trouble believing the church's teachings and, considering the bad reputation some church leaders have acquired, I have good reason to doubt.

Sharon's church had a special service today honoring the memory of Elvis Presley who passed away almost 30 years ago. I was mighty impressed when she told me about this service and thought how "with the times" her church was. I immediately invited myself to the service.

I was actually the first person to arrive and slid into a pew hoping I wasn't taking up someone's favorite seat. Gradually the church began to fill up with it's regular congregation and I was one of the very few white faces in the group. I'd been to the church before and knew I had no reason to feel uneasy or unwanted...the people have always welcomed me warmly. Today was no exception and many came forward to wish me, a stranger, good morning.

Other churches I've attended in the last few years have presented choir renditions of hymns or songs completely unknown to me but in this church they sing the old standbys...Rock of Ages, Amazing Grace, Peace in the Valley, etc. The four person choir (like many churches the congregation here is falling) led us in song. I'm such a novice about church etiquette that I didn't know where to find the hymnal or the hymns but the kind people around me saw my confusion and quickly came to my aid.

I actually had not planned to sing along because my faith is so questionable but after these nice people had seen fit to help a stranger to their church I felt I had to return the respect. As I said, the hymns were old and familiar and it felt good to join in.

The minister spoke about Elvis, his life, his music, and his strong belief in God. I thought how huge an honor it was to Elvis that he was being praised in a little church here in Canada 30 years after his death. He was a special man who dropped into our lives and changed our world. Not many can make that claim.

Come to think of it, that's what Jesus did.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Amen Momma!

Thank you, thank you very much! :-)

bluebird of paradise said...

how lovely! i bet that was more fun than collingwood, which by the way i am committed to going to next year. i've talked donna and peggy into coming and i'm working on jackie.