Thursday, August 02, 2007

Nursing

My son-in-law is home and being cared for mainly by my two daughters. My purpose, it seems, is to keep watch over him when they leave the room for any reason. Since he's so well taken care of I guess my purpose is acceptable.

You know how sometimes you view a situation and that picture will be with you forever? Well, today my son-in-law's parents and aunt came into the house. I greeted them with hugs and then returned to my "watch spot" so I'd be out of the way and let them have good access to the patient. David's father went directly to his son and spoke a few words before retreating to a chair on the other side of the room. David's mother, aunt, and my two daughters hovered over him, straightening the sheets, smoothing his brow, and talking to him. He was unresponsive but they skittered around him wanting to do something to help...trying to do anything.

It was the picture of the four women doing whatever they could think of to make David more comfortable that struck me as such a poignant scene. They don't love David any more than his father but his Dad stepped away to let the women do what women have to do, and that is to physically care for one of their own. They can't stop the cancer but they can straighten the sheets.

I don't mean to say that the ability to be a good nurse is found only in women. I just mean that the job of caring for the sick usually falls on the able and willing hands of women. The male nurses I've come across, however capable, lack the feminine touch. My opinion only!

David's family come every day to see him and always bearing great amounts of food for family and visitors alike. I can't imagine what thoughts go through his parents' minds because I've never had the misfortune to lose a child. I do know that your child remains your "child" forever regardless of age. David's parents arrive with love and sorrow for their son but they also arrive with love and support for the rest of us.

Thank heavens for family.



No comments: