Friday, August 03, 2007

Life is Tenacious

We've had 90 degree temperatures for almost a week now and they will be with us for another 2 weeks. This is so unusual for a Canadian summer.

Because I'm away from the house most of the day my garden becomes very dry and wilted so I try to water early in the morning and then again in the evening. It tickles me to see the wilted plants soak up the water and come back to life but I always worry they might have suffered too much heat to make the trip back.

The front of my house bears the brunt of afternoon full sun so I've planted a lot of Portulaca out there. That is an amazing plant, can take drought and hot sun for ages and still flower with no sign of wilting. It's sure facing a challenge this summer but so far is succeeding easily.

My neighbors seem to have given up wasting water on their lawns so I've got the greenest lawn on the block. I started letting it grow longer and keeping the lawn mower blades high this year so that could also have helped to keep it green. Whatever the reason I'm doing something right and, although there are some burnt patches, the lawn looks pretty good.

Unfortunately, the weeds love this kind of weather and I don't get out as often to pull them up so they're gaining too strong a foothold. I just think that one day soon I'll have more time to play in the garden and I'll get them then. But it will have to be when the heat wave is over.

No comments: