Friday, September 21, 2007

Computer Wires

One of the reasons I bought a laptop computer to take to Florida is because of the forbidding maze of wires under the desktop computer. Can this really be necessary? It's actually scary to look under there.

Yesterday I was surfing the web (I love the freedom in that phrase) when my mouse stopped working. It was the old mouse from my old computer so I thought it had just worn out. I still had the mouse that came with the new computer so I attempted to remove the old and plug in the new.

As I climbed in among miles of entwined wires going in all directions I tried tracing the route of the old mouse so I could disconnect it and plug in the new one. Sounds easy? No.

I yanked gently on a wire I thought was connected to the old mouse and followed it down to the computer where I discovered it had another wire attached to it. How could that be, I thought? After a few attempts and still finding this same double wire I gave up and called Anna, my neighbor, to come and help me.

Over came Anna in pyjamas after working all day and she climbed under the computer desk to deal with my wires. She easily traced the proper wire (I'd been following the one connected to the camera dock), removed and replugged and I was all set once more.

She said the old mouse might not have been compatible with Vista. I hate Vista. I once said that people (or things) you hate don't deserve space in your life. Well, I'm cursed with having to live with Vista because it came with the new computer so I'll just have to learn to accept it.

Wonder what surprises it has for me in the future?

No comments: