Thursday, September 13, 2007

Still Eating Like a Saint

I'm now a couple of weeks into eating healthier and, honestly, I feel better even though there's not much less poundage on my hips. Since I eat in restaurants a lot I've learned where I can buy the food that's acceptable to me. McDonalds is out and Wendy's and Arby's are in because they serve baked potatoes.

Swiss Chalet (sorry, in Canada only) serves chicken sandwiches, barbecued chicken, and chicken soup...also the blessed baked potato.

Fancy restaurants are out most of the time because of the expense but on special occasions they can be counted on to serve excellent salads.

At home, I have garden tomatoes and cukes along with poached salmon. One of my favorite grocery stores sells 8 small frozen salmon steaks for $10 and they are excellent. Snacks are almost always fruit. Lunch at home is a chicken sandwich or the tomatoes/cukes with canned salmon and cottage cheese.

There are lots of carbs in beef so I seldom have it but I never ate much beef before so it's no big loss.

Oh yes, I've begun eating a proper breakfast. I'm seldom hungry in the morning but I've started eating a low sugar cereal (Kashi) mixed half and half with Kellog's Special K. I only use skim milk for cereal and coffee.

I'm not calling this a diet because the main purpose is not to lose weight but to simply consume healthier foods. If I also lose some weight then that's a bonus.

So far, so good and I do feel physically healthier. I'm still learning what I should be eating and maybe my choices aren't the best but they will improve with time. After all, I am woman, I am strong, I am determined.

1 comment:

Kim said...

go, Momma, go!!!!
Love you.