Friday, December 07, 2007

The City I Fell in Love With

During our middle and later years my husband and I were lucky enough to visit some very interesting cities and even countries. We spent time in Cuba, China, and Venezuela and enjoyed very much the different cultures and ways of life.

As much as I loved travelling to those places, there is one place in Canada that I visited maybe 15 years ago that made me cry to leave it. It's a rather small city in British Columbia called Vernon.

My husband and I went out there on a business trip and flew into Kamloops. We drove north to Vernon and my memory of our arrival is one of awe. I remember a large lake on one side and mountains on the perimeter. It was so beautiful that it took my breath away. I don't remember the inner city as being spectacular but the entry into the city was so lovely I still yearn to relive it.

When we left a few days later I cried because I knew I'd probably never get the chance to go back there. It's been a prized memory ever since. From that day forward I always had a secret desire to run away from home one day and return there.

But 15 years have passed so I'm sure it isn't quite the same and I'd be disappointed...but maybe I wouldn't. And maybe I just might find a way to go back for another look.

No comments: