Sunday, December 23, 2007

Fragile Life

Here in our little trailer park we've received the bad news that one of our own has an inoperable form of lung cancer and will start treatment tomorrow. It batters us to be reminded that life is so fragile and can be endangered or ended at a moment's notice. It's always worse when the patient is young with the whole world ahead of them but the loss of someone 100 years old can be hurtful.

The fear is always that of the unkown. We really can't know what happens to us after our earthly body is lost but we can only hope that what comes after is much better than what is now. I don't know anyone who has lived a charmed life with no misery, no unhappiness, and no tragedy. Life as we know it is damned hard.

If anyone has taken the time to read my silly little story they'll know that I believe firmly in a wonderful life after death. I desperately want some answers about why life on earth is so painful. I need to believe that we reach something better, something more sensible than what we have now. I want to know that the "peace" we seek is not simply a never ending sleep.

Six of us went out for dinner tonight and had a wonderful time laughing and remembering our younger lives. I know that not all seniors enjoy their elder years like this. They don't have the companionship or laughter that seems to fill my days here in Florida and it makes me so damned grateful for every moment. In the back of my mind, every day, is the reminder that this too shall end one day.

No matter how we end our days, I want to go out with good memories of the love of family and friends. And then I want to start a great new adventure in the hereafter. For my friend who is harshly dealing with her mortality, I hope for a miracle. Her adventure in the hereafter can wait a while.

No comments: