Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Back from Miami

My friend, Carole, and I spent a lovely Xmas holiday in Miami with my youngest daughter's family and her in-laws. My daughter's in-laws are Cuban and the most warm and loving hosts anyone could want. In fact, I invited myself down there knowing I'd be greeted with open arms.

We arrived at the in-law's house around noon on Xmas Eve and found only Carmen and Juan there with their 17 month old granddaughter. That was the quietest moment we spent there. Before long the rest of the relatives began to arrive. The house was overflowing with gifts, food, and family. The Cuban's celebrate Xmas Eve just as we do Xmas day. Tables were decorated, unbelievable amounts of food was put out, and a very tiny amount of wine was consumed.

Late in the evening we all watched a 2 hour DVD of a high school musical my granddaughter had starred in. She was wonderful. I crawled into bed around 1:30 A.M. very happy to have been included in this terrific family's Xmas celebration.

There's only one thing wrong with my daughter's in-laws...it takes forever for a group of them to make up their minds and schedules to go on to the next function. I knew this and have learned to live with it but Carole seemed a bit dazed at times, occasionally asking politely, "Is the plan still in effect?". I'd smile sweetly and shake my head no. Plans would change by the minute and hours later we'd be racing around enveloped in a brand new plan of events. It's the Cuban way.

We left for home on Wednesday with a quick stopover at Shelley's sister-in-law's home in Ft. Lauderdale to see if my daughter and son-in-law needed my car trunk space for stuff they were taking up to their new home in Washington. Did I say quick? We got there at 7:30 A.M. and, in awe, watched plans change a few times until 10:30 A.M. when John finally got his UHaul trailer and therefore didn't need my trunk. Carole and I gave many kisses all around and finally got on the road to head back to our trailer park.

I loved every moment I spent with Shelley and her in-laws. I feel as much a part of their family as she must feel because they gather you in and surround you with love. They gave me a Xmas to remember with fond memories.

Just a note...we drove up the Florida Turnpike and had to stop to pay tolls. At one stop there were a few cars in front of us which paid the toll and drove off. I drove up to the toll booth and found the woman working in there asleep. How could she have fallen asleep in the few seconds it took for the car in front of me to leave and me to pull up? She sat there with eyes closed for about half a minute while I hollered "hello?" at her a few times. She finally opened her eyes and took my money and lifted the barrier to let me through. Strange or what??

No comments: