Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Old Dogs Learning New Tricks

When my husband was alive we each had our own chores at home and with the trailer here in Florida. One of his chores was to take the Florida room windows apart for cleaning. The screens are a permanent fixture so the windows can't be cleaned from the outside...poor design. I haven't cleaned these windows since he passed away because I was afraid I'd get them apart and then not be able to put them together again. He cleaned them last in 2003 so they looked pretty bad.

My friend, Carole, who bought the trailer across the road has no such fears. This is her first year in her trailer and the windows are cleaned already. So yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and clean mine.

Each section is a set of 4 windows that lock into each other. I labeled each one...1.2.3.4...so they'd go back in the right order. I removed them and cleaned number 4 which went to the top. It wouldn't go back in and actually looked too small for the window. I called Carole over and we struggled to put the damn thing in. We discovered 2 little bars on each side of the window frame and realized we needed to work with them and, voila, in went my one clean window. The rest were easy now that I knew the secret.

I'm always so afraid of failing at new things it makes me fearful to try but with every success it gives me a feeling of accomplishment. Having a friend like Carole who will take on anything makes me want to follow suit. She gives me confidence in myself or maybe it's more like...damn it, if she can do it so can I! Whatever, this is a positive thing.

In any case, this has been a big deal in my life. It's something that's irritated me for a couple of years and now I've finally taken care of the problem. One more tiny success to add to the pile!

No comments: