Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Xmas Memory

We've been talking about Christmas's in our childhood and there is one in particular that stays with me. I was 3 years old and had received a prize doll from Santa and, like all children with their dolls, I settled down to undress it. My grandmother, with whom I lived, was adamant that I should keep my new doll as pristine as when it arrived under the tree. I think she was one of those people who don't understand that toys are to be played with and not just admired.

When my grandmother went into the kitchen to prepare our dinner (she was one wonderful cook) I removed the doll's clothes and then redressed her. Soon it was dinnertime so I reluctantly left my new doll in the livingroom while we ate our Christmas dinner.

When I finished dinner I couldn't find my doll. I was in a panic and looked everywhere for her until my grandmother said, "Santa took her back because you undressed her after being told not to". I was heartbroken. I remember looking around to see if Santa might still be nearby and maybe give me back the doll...but it didn't happen.

I never saw that doll again. My grandmother had taken the doll to teach me a lesson. When I was old enough to understand what had actually happened to the doll I did learn my lesson. It was resentment and distrust of my grandmother.

She thought she was doing the right thing but she'd missed the true message of Christmas. It's mainly for the children, bringing them joy and happiness to the best of your ability.

I never did ask her about that darned doll but I still wonder what she did with it!

No comments: