Sunday, December 16, 2007

Thin Blooded Floridians

It's going to get down into the mid 30'sF tonight and all the local television channels are running banners of warnings. We're told to keep all exposed skin covered and to stay inside if we have breathing difficulties. Tomorrow it will only reach the high 50's and you can bet your life these southerners will be outside wearing parkas and toques.

True northerners scoff at this but the truth is that we snowbirds are altering our own tolerance of the cold by spending our winters here. When I get back to Ontario in April there will probably still be snow on the ground. The normal chill of an April day will bite into me and make me zip up my jacket...in years past I'd leave my jacket flying open in the face of a full blown snow storm but not any more.

So, carry on you brave and hardy northern souls. You will be the ones who inherit the earth...unless global warming is not a myth. In that case, it will be the southerners who never seem to wilt in 90 degree weather who will be the winners after all.

As for me, tonight I'll put the furnace on and probably leave it on all day tomorrow. But I draw the line at a parka and toque.

No comments: